Sometimes getting what we want is as simple as asking for it. But more often than not we need to work a little harder to get it. How you ask for something in your relationship or your life can determine if you will be able to get it.
Here are some simple things to keep in mind the next time you are preparing to ask for something you want:
- Be Certain – Expect to get what you want. Your confidence will shine through to the person you are asking.
- Attention – Make sure you set up a time or even a moment when you can have the person’s full attention. This may mean, for example, that you need to catch your husband during a commercial break. But find a time that you can have undivided attention, it will increase your odds of getting what you want.
- Clarity – Keep your request short and to the point. Consider even making some notes beforehand. By having clarity in your request, you show respect to the person you are asking and show that you value their time as much as they do.
- Passion – An individual who is genuinely passionate about what they are asking for is more likely to get it than someone who just sort of wants something. Passion is like certainty, and it will show to the person you are asking.
- Fun – Have fun with it. Don’t be too stuck on the details and forget about the humor or creative side. Smiling and being humorous can captivate your audience and open their minds to your proposal.
- Barter – Trading a favor for a favor or a service for a service is bartering. If you need to offer to do something to get what you want, be prepared to do it. At the very least be willing to explain what they are going to get out of it. People always want to know what is in it for them.
- Repetition – If at first you don’t succeed- try, try again. You may have to go through a few “no” answers before you find your “yes.” Or perhaps you will even have to approach the same person again to try and get what you want. Don’t be afraid to ask a second or third time for what you want. Your persistence could pay off.
- The Right Person – Make sure you are asking someone who will be able to give you what you want. Asking the right person can make a world of difference in whether you get what you’re asking for or not.
Many people go their whole life without getting what they really want. Sometimes we don’t get what we want simply because we were just too afraid to ask for it. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you need or want in your relationships or professional life. If you prepare yourself and have the confidence and passion, you could get what you ask for easily and quickly.