Sometimes getting what we want is as simple as asking for it. But more often than not, we need to work a little harder to get it. How you ask for something in your relationship, life, or career can determine if you will be able to get it.
Here are some simple things to keep in mind the next time you are preparing to ask for something you want:
- Be Certain – Expect to get what you want. Your confidence will shine through to the person you are asking.
- Time it wisely– Make sure you set up a time or even a moment when you can have the person’s full attention. This may mean, for example, that you need to catch your husband once he’s fully decompressed from a long day at the office. But if you find a time that you can have their undivided attention, it will increase your odds of getting what you want.
- Have clarity – Keep your request short and to the point. You might even consider making some notes beforehand. By being clear in your request, you show respect to the person you are asking. You’re showing that you value their time as much as they do.
- Show passion – An individual who is genuinely passionate about what they are asking for is more likely to get it than someone who just “sort of” wants something. Showing that you’re passionate is like showing you’re confident; the person you’re asking will see this.
- Have fun – Don’t get too stuck on the details and forget about the humor or creative side. Smiling and being humorous can captivate your audience and open their minds to your proposal.
- Barter – Trading a favor for a favor or a service for a service is bartering. If you need to offer to do something to get what you want, be prepared to do it. At the very least, be willing to explain what they are going to get out of it. People always want to know what is in it for them.
- Use repetition – If at first you don’t succeed- try, try again. You may have to go through a few “no” answers before you find your “yes.” Or perhaps you will even have to approach the same person again to try and get what you want. Don’t be afraid to ask a second or third time for what you want. Your persistence could pay off.
- Ask the right person – Make sure you are asking someone who will be able to give you what you want. Asking the right person can make a world of difference in whether you get what you’re asking for or not.
Many people go their whole life without getting what they really want. Sometimes we don’t get what we want simply because we were just too afraid to ask for it. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you need or want in your relationships or professional life. If you prepare yourself and have the confidence and passion, you can get what you ask for easily and quickly!
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on April 1, 2017, and has since been updated.